If you have a swimming pool on your NSW property, or are planning to build one in the very near future, this article was written with you in mind. According to the Swimming Pool Act of 1992, all spas & pools must be certified as safe for use, with all the requirements to ensure that children cannot access the pool area.
Here is a list of requirements that you should be compliant with before contacting an approved pool certification company.
- The Pool Fencing – When looking for swimming pool compliance in Baulkham Hills, the pool fencing must conform with the standards related to the size of the pool. The fencing can have no gaps larger than 100m, which can be vertical, but not horizontal (these gaps could be used by a child to climb over the fence).
- Pool Gate – This must be outward opening and have a self-closing device that operates regardless of the door position. The latch must be at least 1500mm from the ground and hinges need to be capped to prevent a child gaining a foothold.
- Inside the Pool Area – You are limited to what can be located within the pool area; no garden furniture, BBQ units can be inside this area, the only items allowed are a fixed slide and pool cleaning & filtration equipment. Remove any washing lines prior to having the pool inspected and everything should be in order.
- Around the Pool Fencing – There should be no objects within 1200mm of the pool fencing, as this would be deemed as a climbing hazard; this includes trees, shrubs and man-made objects. The inspector will walk around the exterior of the pool area to check that no objects are close enough to be used to climb over the pool barrier.
- CPR Sign – There must be a suitable CPR sign installed inside the pool area that clearly shows how to perform CPR on a drowning person. These are available online, just make sure that the signage conforms to the NSW standards regarding size and content.
If you have yet to build the pool, we recommend glass pool fencing, as this enables you to see inside the pool are at all times, plus glass is durable and very easy to keep clean. The company that installs the pool fencing would be very familiar with the State requirements and would therefore ensure that everything conforms.
Once you are ready to have the pool inspected, search with Google for a Sydney-based pool certification company who are approved to carry out the inspection and issue you with a pool compliance certificate.