Wherever you happen to live in Australia, your swimming pool will need to be inspected for pool safety certification, which every state requires. In this article, we will outline some of the safety guidelines for domestic pool fencing, with the aim of helping you to comply with state requirements.
- Pool Fencing – It is mandatory to have a secure fence around any pool or spa, and glass is the best material, as it is durable, easy to clean and it does not obstruct your vision when looking at the pool. Requesting a glass pool fencing quote in Adelaide can be done online, and at a suitable time on a given day, a technician would pay you a visit to discuss the many design options and features.
- Restricted Gaps – The gap at the bottom of the fencing must be 100mm or less, and the same for any vertical gaps in the fencing. This is judged to be too narrow for a child to crawl through and is therefore safe. The height of the fence would be at least 1200mm, depending on the size of the pool, but any fencing company would ensure that the design is within state guidelines.
- Self-Closing Gate – The gate must be of the self-closing type, with a latch that closes automatically, and the glazier would design the perfect gate, which complies with state regulations. The self-closing mechanism is usually spring loaded, which ensures that the door closes every time.
- Climbing Aids – There must be no items of furniture, trees or shrubs that might aid a child to climb the pool fence completely around the perimeter. If the inspector saw anything that he or she deemed might be used to scale the fence, it would have to be removed.
- Resuscitation Signage –This needs to be legible from any location within the pool area and it is likely that the pool fencing company would sell these signs and install them too. The sign would show diagrams of how to perform CPR, along with written instructions on how to deal with a potential drowning.
- Inside the Pool Area – Leisure furniture should not be located inside the pool enclosure, the only items that can are pool cleaning equipment and filter housings, and that includes the BBQ.
When you are ready to have the pool fencing installed, the installation team are very familiar with state requirements and would therefore ensure that your fencing is compliant and you can call in a certified pool safety inspector.